Friday, October 25, 2013

Froi of the Exiles--Melina Marchetta

Title: Froi of the Exiles
Author: Melina Marchetta
Publisher: Candlewick Press, 2012.
Pages: 400 p
Source: library ebook
Compensation: None

A couple of years ago I read Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta and I LOVED it. Truly, loved it. I have been living under a bit of a rock myself this past couple of years and had NO idea that she's written a trilogy! I discovered them while browsing my library's ebook collection one night while desperate to find something to read. The good thing about living under a rock is that now I don't have to wait for the third book. I was able to download both ebooks at once.

Anyway.

As the title suggests, this is not Finnikin's story. Or Isaboe's. Although they do play prominent roles and we get to see glimpses into their lives. The bulk of the story is about Froi, the young boy Isaboe and Finnikin rescue in the first book. Froi has been trained with the Captain's Guard and is about to embark on his most dangerous mission yet--to infiltrate the enemy kingdom of Charyn and assassinate its King. His mission is even more dangerous than he could have imagined when he falls in love with the King's mad daughter. Froi gets embroiled in Charyn politics which is expected and family politics which is completely unexpected. A simple assassination attempt turns into something much much more complex than Froi could have ever believed.

Once again Marchetta has written a thrilling emotional story that will leave readers reading well into the night, way past their bedtimes. She has surpassed the brutality of Finnikin of the Rock. The horrors Charyn inflicted on its Lumateran neighbors were tragic, but the horrors it inflicts on its own people--its own Princess--are incomprehensible. It is difficult to read and I would not recommend this for tweens. This is most assuredly a YA book. Marchetta makes sure to add moments of levity, usually with Finnikin and Isaboe and their demanding toddler Jasmina. We also get some resolution with Lady Beatriss and Finnikin's father Trevanion. The novel ends on a serious cliffhanger and it's a good thing I don't have to wait for the final installment to be released.

******
I'm an Amazon Associate now. If you click on the Amazon links & buy anything I might make a tiny bit of money.

No comments:

Blog Archive