Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mockingjay--Suzanne Collins


"Mockingjay"
Suzanne Collins
Scholastic Press, NY 2010
390 p.

Please note that this review will contain spoilers for "The Hunger Games" (review here) and “Catching Fire” (review here) if you have not finished reading them yet.

The highly anticipated sequel to “The Hunger Games” and “Catching Fire” is just as thrilling and emotionally exhausting as the first two. “Catching Fire” ends with an unbelievable cliffhanger—Katniss has just shot an arrow through a weak spot in the arena force field during her latest Hunger Games causing explosions and chaos. She is picked up by a hovercraft and taken away from the games, leaving her precious Peeta behind.

In the final book of the series, “Mockingjay,” we learn that rebels, including her mentor Haymitch, rescued Katniss from the arena and she is recovering in District 13 where they are preparing her to be the spokesperson of the new rebellion against the Capitol. Katniss doesn’t want to be the rebel’s pawn anymore than she wanted to be the Capitol’s, but President Snow’s cruel games leave her no choice.

Amidst the political intrigue and dangerous warfare, Katniss must also sort out her feelings for Peeta and for Gale, her childhood best friend. Her confusion over her feelings is realistic. Collins does a good job of showing why Katniss is torn between the two boys. (In other words, it's nothing like that other book with the TEAMS and the girl who can't choose between two boys...)

“Mockingjay” is a satisfying conclusion to “The Hunger Games” trilogy. The series is perfect for book discussion groups and the underlying political lessons make it mandatory reading for teens as well as adults.

I loved this book. I loved this series. I freely admit that I ignored my children so that I could continue reading it. If you haven't gotten around to reading this yet, do so now! I'm glad I waited (unintentionally) to read the first two so I didn't have to wait so long for "Mockingjay" to come out.
*******
I'm an Amazon Associate now. If you click on the links for the books I review I might make a tiny bit of money.

1 comment:

healy said...

Love this one. Each chapter was a cliff hanger and hard to put down. But, the horror was too much that I had to put it down and walk away.

Blog Archive