Monday, April 10, 2006

How Angel Peterson Got His Name--Gary Paulsen

What a great book for middle school boys!

The author narrates this collection of loosely related memories of his days as a 13 year old boy. He and his friends make their own entertainment before the days of TV and video games and the Internet. They ride bikes and make their own skateboards and perform their own daredevil stunts.

Paulsen tells the story like he's talking directly to the reader around a campfire at night "Remember when Angel tried to break the speed-ski record ...." It's funny and exciting and short. Middle school boys will eat this right up. I don't know how girls will relate... I enjoyed it but while I was reading it all I could think about was what I wasn't going to let my son do when he gets to be 13.


************
Reading: Sir Thursday--Garth Nix
On My Nightstand:

No comments:

Blog Archive