Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Sister Slam and the Poetic Motormouth Road Trip -- Linda Oatman High

I liked it. I like the title. I love the slam style. I love that Jack Kerouac's name was mentioned and the Beats were mentioned a lot.

Two friends, Laura a.k.a. Sister Slam and Twig leave their small Pennsylvania town for a Poetry Slam. They do okay at the slam, but wind up having crazy adventures during their road trip. This all leads to more slams and more adventures.

I enjoyed it thoroughly but I think it's better for an older reader than for a middle schooler. Middle school kids won't have the life experience, or anything close to it, to truly appreciate this story. Because of that, I'd say it's not Top Shelf, but definitely worth the read.

I don't have time for a real review since I'm currently working and trying to figure out who's going to be me for October-December. Ack.

************
Reading:
On My Nightstand:

No comments:

Blog Archive