Friday, July 23, 2004

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy--Gary D. Schmidt

Okay, keep in mind that I'm having a lot of problems making words into sentences lately...

Lizzie Bright is black and Turner Buckminster is white. Naturally they are not supposed to be friends and even though an entire town tries to keep them apart, they are drawn to one another. Turner is a minister's son and shouldn't be doing anything the minister doesn't want him to do. But he rebels and lies and eventually stands up for himself so he can stand up for his friend.

I liked this book. I didn't cry for days like Sandy did... but I liked it. It's based on true events in the early 1900s and is an important story of race relations and parent-child relations. If the kids respond to it, it could be top shelf.

************
Reading: Going to start Exiled
On My Nightstand: Lots and lots

No comments:

Blog Archive